Driving in heavy rain and thunderstorms
Summer storms can crop up fairly quickly, so it’s important to know what to do if you get stuck in a downpour.
- Turn on your radio so you can listen for up-to-the-minute weather alerts.
- Turn on your low beams, and drive slowly.
- Allow extra space between you and the car in front of you. Braking on wet roadways can be difficult.
- Never drive through standing water.
- During heavy storms, visibility can be greatly reduced. Pull to the side of the road and turn on your emergency flashers until the rain subsides.
- Be on the lookout for trees that could fall.
- Steer clear of downed power lines.
- If traffic lights are out, treat intersections as four-way stops.
Here’s hoping you stay dry – and if you do happen to get caught in a storm, be safe!