Driving in severe weather
Summer is here (unofficially, at least), which means severe weather can pop up without much warning. Do you know what to do if you happen to get caught in an electrical storm while driving?
- Turn on the radio and listen for weather updates.
- Drive slowly, and allow plenty of space between you and other vehicles on the road. It’s important to remember that roads will be slicker than normal.
- Use your low-beam headlights so other cars can see you.
- Avoid flooded roadways. It is extremely difficult to gauge the depth of water, and it’s always better to play it safe!
- If visibility is drastically reduced, pull over. If there’s a nearby building that you can reach safely, park and go inside. If not, try to keep your distance from trees that could fall on your vehicle. Turn on your emergency flashers, and stay inside your vehicle until the storm passes.