No one ever plans to get in a car accident – but the truth is, it can happen to anybody. Do you know what to do if you’re involved in a crash?
- Call 911. If anyone is hurt, let the 911 operator know that you’ll need an ambulance.
- If everyone appears to be OK, tell the 911 operator that you only need a police officer. Many insurance companies will require a police report in order to process a claim, so don’t be tempted to skip this step!
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver.
- Jot down a few notes while details of the accident are still fresh in your mind.
- If you have a camera, snap a few shots of the accident scene and the damaged vehicles.
- Do not admit fault or blame the other driver.
We hope you never need this information, but it’s always good to have just in case! In the meantime, be safe!