Oh, the weather outside is frightful!
Ah, yes – snow, sleet and ice are starting to pop up on the weather map, which means drivers need to be extra careful when they hit the road. Here are some handy tips for navigating slick roadways this winter season:
- Monitor weather forecasts. This way, you’ll be aware of unfavorable road conditions before you head out.
- Make sure your car is in tip-top shape. Ask your service technician to check your ignition, brakes, air filters, spark plugs and battery. Be sure you have plenty of antifreeze and wiper fluid, too.
- Inspect your tires. Have them rotated and make sure you maintain proper air pressure.
- Be prepared. Keep a spare tire, a shovel and an ice scraper in your trunk. A bag of salt or kitty litter is smart to have on hand, too.
- Dress smart. If you do end up getting stranded, you won’t want to be without a warm coat, hat and gloves. It’s also a good idea to stow a few spare blankets in your car throughout cold-weather months.
- Be sure to have a well-charged cell phone with you if you’re driving in bad weather.