No matter what kind of car you drive, there are steps you can take to make sure you’re doing your part to preserve air quality and preserve our environment.
The Car Care Council recommends the following several steps, including the following:
1. Keep your car properly tuned. This one is a win-win, mostly because a well-tuned engine means your car is getting the best balance of power and the best possible fuel economy. It’s also producing the lowest level of emissions. (Check out www.donayresservice.com for questions about service intervals.)
2. Check and replace dirty air filters. A clogged filter ultimately results in wasted gas and loss of engine power. Replace the air filter, and watch your car’s performance improve.
3. Check and replace spark plugs. Bottom line: dirty spark plugs can cause misfiring, which wastes fuel.
4. Maintain your car’s cooling system. A cooling system thermostat that causes an engine to run too cold will lower your car’s fuel efficiency.
5. Stay on top of maintenance. The Car Care Council also offers a free car care guide. Order it at carcare.org.